West Contra Costa Healthcare District is a public agency formed under the State of California Local Healthcare District Law. The District encompasses most of West County, from Kensington in the south to just over the border of Crockett.
Formed by the residents of West County in 1948, the District was created for the purpose of building Brookside Hospital. The District operated as a hospital district until 1994 when California Healthcare Law broadened the District’s oversight to include healthcare issues for all of West County. Since then, the District has operated as a healthcare district working to maintain and improve the quality of healthcare in West County.
The Board of Directors is the only publicly elected body in West County charged solely with overseeing healthcare in our community. The five-member board is elected from at-large throughout the District to represent the people of West County.
The District Board of Directors have governed healthcare, through its operation of Doctors Medical Center (formerly known as Brookside Hospital), the formation and continued support of the Brookside Community Health Center, and other health-related projects that help improve healthcare in our community.
- The District operated Brookside from its opening in 1954 until 1997.
- In 1997 the District affiliated with Tenet HealthSystems to operate Brookside Hospital. Tenet renamed the hospital Doctors Medical Center San Pablo/Pinole.
- On August 1, 2004, the District assumed operations of Doctors Medical Center.
- Doctors Medical Center is owned and operated by the West Contra Costa Healthcare District.
|West Contra Costa Healthcare District|
San Pablo, CA 94806